Thursday, April 9, 2009

Happy-Go-Lucky (2008) Film Review - Sally Hawkins

Plot Summary - The Adventures of a happy-go-lucky, rather loopy and overly cheerful thirty-year old London primary school teacher called "Poppy". Poppy (Sally Hawkins) is happily single, lives with a flatmate, hangs and gets drunk with her gal pals at various local pubs and clubs, and never seems to take anything seriously, to the point of annoyance to some she encounters, like her new driving instructor, Scott. Scott (Eddie Marsan) has a rather bad, short-temper for someone teaching driving (reminded me of MY high school driving instructor - a lot!) and the two have a rather odd time of it at each Saturday's noontime lesson. Jealousy sparks over Poppy's new boyfriend.

Review - This is an enjoyable watch, kept me entertained for two hours - and I didn't have any trouble (well, hardly any) with the heavy Brit accents. The film is just sort of a glimpse into this woman's life - her teaching job, classes she takes (trampoline, flamenco dancing, driving), her meeting and date with a new boyfriend - her social life with her friends. Only one thing - Miss Poppy is somewhat of an annoying person - always making a joke out of anything anyone says - - I don't know if she's meant to be annoying, or if that's just my personal quirk (I would find myself wanting to get away from a person like this, I believe). Rating - 8/10 stars

No comments: