Monday, April 20, 2009

Doubt (2008) Film Review - Meryl Streep, Amy Adams

Plot Summary - Set in the Bronx in the early 60s, the story of an older, really stern nun (Meryl Streep) (feared by the students that attend their church-run Catholic school) who feels that the parish priest (Philip Seynour Hoffman) at their church may be molesting the boys. A new student, the only black student at this all-white school, is befriended by the priest, drawing the attention of a younger nun, Sister James (Amy Adams), his teacher - who brings this to the attention of the older nun. Suspicions and accusations follow.

Review - Really good - completely drew me in with edge of your seat plotline (just like a good mystery) that kept me wanting to see more. Based on a Broadway stage play, this film is all about the acting - super top-notch all around. Wow - I love Meryl Streep in this, she plays a great nun! I enjoyed Amy Adams nun work too! ( And hey, I always seem to enjoy movies about nuns too, I must say.) Well done, interesting cinematography done on-location, a realistic period feel, and a nice music score by Howard Shore enhances the film. Rating - 10/10 stars

No comments: