Monday, April 13, 2009

The Brothers Grimm (2005) Film Review - Terry Gilliam

Plot Summary - An early 19th-century fantasy/fairy tale telling the tale of the Grimm brothers (Heath Ledger and Matt Damon) who go about Germany with a con game posing their crew as witches and trolls and the like in villages driven by fables, then rid the town of said problem for cash rewards. Coming to one village they help solve the real situation of an enchanted evil forest and the disappearance of young girls from the village.

Review - A take-off on the Brothers Grimm fairy tales (which I loved to read when I was a kid, by the way) - with tiny elements of such stories as Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, Hansel and Gretel, Snow White and such spun together in a sort of messy way - I found this film a bit rambling and confusing - a disappointment as I am partial to fantasies, I'm a fan of director of the film, Terry Gilliam, and especially, I'm a HUGE fan of my lovely Heath Ledger. This film features the sort of stuff you might want in a fairy tale - witches and magic spells and evil men (and evil trees and evil wolf) and mud that forms into a creature - you name it - too bad it didn't work. Rating - 6.5/10 stars

No comments: