Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Peter Pan versus Peter Pan - Silent / Sound Versions

I recently watched the silent and the later 2003 Disney version of "Peter Pan" back to back. Here's my run-down/comparison of the two films.

The earlier (silent) version has so much charm, I prefer that one. The Disney version is - well - just SO Disney (sometimes a bit over the top in silliness). The plot of the two films follows along fairly closely, including some of the same dialogue. However the Disney version seems to feature more stuff on the battle with Captain Hook and less on the relationships between Wendy, Peter, and the Lost Boys. I guess I prefer something which is more character driven, thus again my preference for the silent version. Another thing - while the later film features a young boy as Peter Pan instead of the typical actress playing the role, and he is quite appealing and does a good job in the part - - I really just love, love, love Betty Bronson as Peter Pan, just such a charming little pixie, her facial expressions and little jigs she dances - just great. The film score for the Disney version is fantastic, which helps in that score - the silent version also features nicely done music on the Kino video.

Review of 2003 Version, from my archive:

September 8, 2006 - Peter Pan (2003) - This started out seeming a bit too cartoonish and childlike for my taste, but I have to admit - after a bit, it caught me! The classic story by J.M. Barrie of Peter Pan, the boy who won't grow up, who whisks a young girl, Wendy Darling, and her two little brothers out their London window for a fly across the sky to Never Never Land. I really liked the casting of the two actors who play Wendy and Peter Pan - Jeremy Sumpter, as Peter, is especially "Pan-like" (looks like a real pixie!). This version was quite a bit more on the romantic end then the usual versions of this which have an adult female actress playing Peter. Very nice orchestral score in this, by the way. Rating - 8.5/10 stars

No comments: