Friday, August 8, 2008

Upcoming - Cinecon 44 Classic Film Festival in Hollywood, California

Well, my how time flies - less than three weeks to go until I'm off to attend another Cinecon - I've been going every year for years now. Five days in the dark, watching silent, precode, and classic films all day and evening in the (ice cold) Egyptian Theatre in Hollywood - I love it! This year's festival starts Thursday, August 28th and runs into the late afternoon of September 1st, 2008. Some of the films have been announced on their website and I'm pretty excited. Two silent films that I love - Harold Lloyd in The Freshman (1925) and Charlie Chaplin in Tillie's Punctured Romance (1914) - though I've seen both of these films a number of times already (especially "The Freshman"), it will be nice to see them on the big screen. Other interesting silents I haven't seen yet including Larry Semon in Spuds (1927), Triumph (1917) with Lon Chaney, The Blood Ship (1927), Douglas Fairbanks in The Mollycoddle (1920), and oh so many more goodies. Talkies include the musical Sing, Baby, Sing (1936) starring Alice Faye, and Hollywood Speaks (1932). Lots of comedies this year. Many more films will be shown, plus a selection of classic shorts. I am looking forward to Cinecon, as usual - I always have a great time. Cinecon 44 website - http://www.cinecon.org/

Update, Aug. 27, 2008 - Cinecon starts tomorrow! Here is the schedule -http://www.cinecon.org/cinecon_schedule.html
A few of the films I mentioned above as originally announced did not make it to this year's schedule - The Freshman has been replaced by Harold Lloyd's Speedy (1928), which I also like (and have seen a whole bunch of times already). No Spuds or Hollywood Speaks - there is The Home Maker (1925) and Rain or Shine (193o).

Update, September 2, 2008 - go to label "Cinecon 44" for my full Cinecon 44 review - http://moviereviewstop.blogspot.com/search/label/Cinecon%2044

No comments: